What to do until SERVPRO arrives!
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (416) 236-0660
If you have a water damage from a clean source such as potable water supply lines, sink overflows, tub overflows, or appliance malfunctions, here are some things to do before SERVPRO arrives:
Try to safely shut off the source of the water.
Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building if the access panel is safe from electrical shock.
Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
Remove excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions to help with drying.
- Depending on the weather outside you can open windows to allow the humid air to leave the space.
Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors.
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors.
For more information on water damage restoration here.